You should know about various glass paintings techniques, glass paintings tips and certain requirements before you start doing glass paintings; then only it become a gorgeous painting.
At first we can discuss the things you need to do glass paintings. Following are the inevitable glass painting accessories you need;
- 1 piece of glass ( thickness varies according to the dimensions of glass paintings)
- Hard copy of desired picture for tracing on to your glass.
- Different colors of glass liners according to the selected picture for drawing.
- Cone (Use mehendi cones for better finishing of glass painting's outline)
Tips & Tricks for better glass paintings
- For doing glass painting, at first you take a piece of glass proportional to the dimension of the proposed picture (thickness may vary according to the dimension of glass paintings; 2mm or 3mm) and clean thoroughly the surface with soap and water; wipe it with dry tissue paper and make the surface clean.
- Place the proposed picture under the glass in reverse mode (then only you get the actual glass painting when you frame the glass). As this is a reverse mode painting, always remember to place picture in reverse mode for tracing.
- Start tracing the picture using the mehendi cone; drawing outline with a mehandi cone will helps you to draw the outline of paintings very thinner.
- After finishing outlining, let it remain for 15 to 30 minutes for drying. You should only begin applying glass color after proper drying.
- After 30 minutes you can start applying colors on the outlined portion of the glass. One thing bear in mind that never use both solvent based and water based glass painting colors in same or adjacent areas;
- Before filling glass color on adjacent areas, wait for few minute to get previously filled color to get dry. This will help you to prevent different colors from getting mix.
- Show patience while doing glass painting otherwise you will spoil your paintings; Give time to dry colors when you use different colors for glass painting.
- After filling glass colors on all areas of painting, let it remain for 12 to 24 hours for the paintings to get dry. Sometimes it will take 24 to 48 hours according to the temperature and number of layers given for your paintings.
- Then remove the picture placed under the glass; your glass painting work is over and can frame your painting.
- Use mehendi cone for outlining.
- Use only one type of color; either solvent based or water based glass color.
- Use stained or pin drop glass for doing paintings in doors and windows.
- Use only 1/2 inch photo frames if the glass painting is small in size (eg 10X10 inches or 6X 6 inches in dimension)
- Use 1 to 1 1/2 inch photo frames for bigger glass paintings (eg 20X24 or 20 X 35 inches in dimension). It will give your glass painting an elegant look.